One of the hardest things for presenters these days to realize is that not every presentation needs a slide deck. I know—it sounds heretical, but it is true!
As a communicator, it is your responsibility to select the most ideal method of delivery that will both captivate and resonate with your audience.
The format you choose should consider the following:
1. The size of the audience and the presentation environment
2. Whether the audience prefers visuals, interaction, handouts, etc.
3. The best method of delivery that supports your presentation objectives
Three Presentation Types
In their Presentation Toolkit, Duarte suggests that there are a variety of presentation types in three key categories to be chosen based on your goals.
1. Live: presenter-driven content such as keynotes or live webinars
2. On-demand: user-driven content for consumption such as mini documentaries or video slides
3. Immersive: user-driven content for immersive experiences such as eBooks and curated content
Get the Toolkit
This is just a taste of some of the clear and helpful concepts in Duarte’s Presentation Toolkit and I highly recommend to checkout this highly accessible resource today.