That said, there are similarities when you look at the brain science. I know no one better than Oren Klaff, author of Pitch Anything, to share details and insights on this topic with you.
Here’s just a tiny bit of what Oren has to say about understanding the brain when you give a pitch…
The Crocodile Brain
• You must understand how the brain works—not the mind. The key being a fundamental difference between the two at a biological level.
• The Crocodile Brain (primitive brain) evaluates everything on three survival criteria—should I eat it, kill it, or mate with it?
• It wants things fast, summarized, and high contrast (safe/not safe, good/evil, hot/cold) in a visual narrative format.
• If you can’t deliver your message in this manner—the Crocodile Brain filters out the info and ignores what you’re communicating.
• The Crocodile Brain also filters out things it identifies as familiar. However, it looks for and pays attention to novelty or danger.
Check out the full 1 hour and 44 minute video with Oren here.